Looking for ideas for an October holiday? Aquitaine in south west France is the perfect destination for some Autumn sunshine, adventure, delicious food and local wine.
It's our favourite time of year to visit the area- if you can go this Autumn, we promise you won't regret it!
If you need a little more persuading, here are our top 5 reasons to visit south west France this Autumn:
1) The summer crowds have gone - the endless sandy beaches are yours to explore! The locals treasure the golden weeks after the end of the summer season, with fewer poeple around you can really experience the authentic spirit of Aquitaine.
2) Great weather forecast - we have always said that the summer extends into October in Aquitaine, and the weather forecast is looking good this Autumn! The current October temperatures for the Aquitaine region are in the mid twenties - warm enough to enjoy al fresco dining and warrant an ice cream, but cool enough to get active and explore the beaches, forests and lakes.
3) Surf - if you check the surf forecast as often (or more often!) than the weather forecast, south west France is the place for you! Aquitaine's privileged position on the Atlantic coast means that there are famously good waves year round, but Autumn is the preferred time of year for the professionals - why not join them in the waves? The Quik Pro event runs for the first two weeks in October, and there is a real buzz around the sport - with camera crews, sponsors and internationally respected surfers, it's THE time to be in the Hossegor area.
4) Food - many of our favourite Aquitaine specialities are available year round, but Autumn is a particularly special time to visit if you're a real foodie. The Basque country in particular, in the south of Aquitaine has a very distinctive culinary heritage - with local festivals to celebrate their most treasured delicacies. Two of our personal favourites are the Gateau Basque festival and the Espelette Pepper festival - you'll find friendly crowds of food-loving locals who are mor ethan happy to share their enthusiasm for their area with visitors.
5) Wine - the grape harvest is well underway, an exciting time for the wine growers in the region and for oenophiles too. The wine from the Bordeaux region is respected and enjoyed around the world, so whether you know your stuff or would like to learn, Autumn is a great time ot visit the vineyards and improve your knowledge on the subject. The Cité du Vin is proving to be very popular, with an impressive collection of information, interactive tours and tasting opportunities all housed in a strikingly modern construction on the banks of the Gironde river.
We've put together a list of our top property picks for your October holiday in south west France, we're sure there will be something to tempt you.
Call us on 01395 576655 and we can help to find the perfect holiday rental for your Autumn trip.
Choose from over 200 stunning holidays, all hand picked and personally visited by us.Find My Holiday
Or call our experts now